[IAEP] Linux Against Poverty

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:26:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't be cool to have Sugar installed as well on these computers?
>
> http://linuxagainstpoverty.org/

Indeed. At some point we will be able to talk to installfests about
creating school servers, too.

I don't see anything on the page about what distribution they are
installing, but perhaps Lynn Bender (copied on this message) can tell
us. If it's one of the distros at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems other than Ubuntu
Jaunty, we can talk about how to do that with packages. Presumably
somebody could fix the Sugar packages for Jaunty, too.

A point that we need to make is that a $5-10 USB stick with Sugar on a
Stick education software will make discarded computers without hard
drives viable for elementary school education. Every installfest I
have worked with has had a significant number of these left over at
the end. It would make sense to have one at school and one at home for
the littlest children, so they would only have to carry the stick on a
lanyard back and forth.

There should be a fair number of small-capacity sticks available at no
cost to installfests. SoaS downloads run under 400 M.

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

And Children are my nation.