[IAEP] Sugar Labs - Directions of Growth

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:55:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to build on this from the 100 ft level and Sugar on a Stick.
>
> I've been with kids this summer and when Sugar is working on the computer in
> front of them the experience is great. Lots of learning, great engagement,
> kids are willing to take on challenges.
>
> This fall I'd like to see lots of other people working with Sugar and small
> groups of students.
>
> Based on my experiences this summer there are some technical/logistical
> barriers I'd like to break down before I recruit teachers/parents/day care
> workers to try Sugar on a Stick in group settings.
>
> Here are what I think the barriers are:
>
> Very hard to customize your spin and then copy it for a hundred kids.

Can you break this down further? Are you suggesting it is hard to
create a customized key? to replicate the key for 100s of children? or
there is a need to customize keys per child? (a wholly new requirement
AFAIK for which it would be useful to here a use case).

> Sticks are dieing a lot! Like 1 or 2 every class.

It would be helpful to see real data here. I certainly haven't seen
these sorts of failure rates.

> Backup and recovery
> What is a reasonable expectation for the role of the XS in Sugar on a Stick
> deployments in the next 6 months?

If possible, we need a simple backup strategy independent of XS since
the population of XSs will lag behind...

> Collaboration is unreliable and thus frustrating.  Its working fairly well
> in the wired network at the GPA lab, but no other use case seems to work
> reliably.

In fact, once we had properly configured the customization process not
to mangle the public keys, collaboration at GPA seems to be quite
reliable and not at all frustrating. There are some issues with
workflow around sharing that is part of a separate discussion thread.

Regarding wireless collaboration, we do need to better diagnose the
various failure modes we have been seeing. But this has not been part
of the SoaS pilot experience at GPA or LGF.

> Using a CD helper take a lot of prep time before and after class. A floppy
> helper would reduce it.  A VM solution might also reduce it.

Some of this can be handled with better workflow. The CD can be
rejected once the USB is booted, so it doesn't have to include a
power-on / reject / power off cycle at the end of the class.

-walter
--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs