[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 24 11:56:35 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:51:32AM -0500, Jim Simmons wrote:
> Sam,
>
> Aleksey Lim's Library Activity supports organizing books that are
> stored in the Journal.  It is supposed to eventually work on .82 but
> for now only works on .84.  I tried it and it does what Calibre does
> and more.  If you need an organized Journal you can use Library, and
> the Journal function proper can be left alone.

In fact Library was mutated.

To 0.86 features
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Tags_in_Journal
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Plain_Query_Format
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Object_Bundles

To 0.88 features
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Unified_Browser_for_Objects
(will work on previous sugars as well in form of separate activity)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Object_Collections
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Peer_to_Peer_Objects_Sharing

The common thing for these features is using Journal for all object
related needs(browse, search, categorize etc.).. and the fact that they
are not ready to use right now :) It means also that everyone can pick
these features up and implement them :)

> A Journal entry consists of a file plus metadata.  There is no real
> advantage in NOT storing the book in the Journal.  You can convert
> whatever book format you're reading into a zipped archive of same on
> reading it for the first time then mark the Journal entry with Read's
> activity id.  This would give the Journal entry Read's icon and make
> it resumable by Read.  I do something like this with Read Etexts when
> it reads a plain text file.  I'm not trying to save disk space in this
> case; I need to add a pickle file to the archive to store annotations,
> so I create a new Zip file and store the text and the pickle in it.
>
> The XO does not have enough disk space to hold hundreds of books as
> PDFs.  Plain text files would work, but kids like pictures and I don't
> blame them.  As I see it, the child should choose what books go on his
> computer for himself, and delete books when he has lost interest in
> them.
>
> James Simmons
>

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I imagine a final use case in which children do have hundreds of books on
> > their XO, not two or three; they are stored compressed, and uncompressed for
> > reading; and the Journal stores the record of reading a book, but not the
> > uncompressed book itself.
> >
> > When a stick or local library with thousands or tens of thousands of books
> > is available, it could be searched; a collection of books to be copied to
> > your XO identified and named; and this collection added to your XO (with the
> > name you just gave your collection added as a tag).
> >
> > If the Journal could implement Calibre-style views, I don't see why it
> > couldn't function as a library organizer.
> >
> > SJ

Aleksey