[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jul 24 06:12:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 01:55, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I imagine a final use case in which children do have hundreds of books on
> their XO, not two or three; they are stored compressed, and uncompressed for
> reading; and the Journal stores the record of reading a book, but not the
> uncompressed book itself.

What I would like to see one day is all the $HOME contents exposed in
the object view, with or without hierarchical view. The actions
related with books would be exposed in the actions view: reading,
sharing, etc.

> When a stick or local library with thousands or tens of thousands of books
> is available, it could be searched; a collection of books to be copied to
> your XO identified and named; and this collection added to your XO (with the
> name you just gave your collection added as a tag).
>
> If the Journal could implement Calibre-style views, I don't see why it
> couldn't function as a library organizer.

Aleksey has done work in this direction and I expect it to land in the
Journal during the 0.88 timeframe.

Regards,

Tomeu