[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 17:04:42 EDT 2009

Scotty,

I think there is a method where if you have a Journal entry you can
tell Sugar to open it with the default Activity for that entry.  I
haven't tried to do anything like that yet.  It is important to copy
the book to the Journal though.  You can open a book from the stick
directly, but it won't save the page you stopped reading on, or let
you change the title, or take a screenshot of the last page you looked
at, etc.  My big gripe with the Journal is even though it cannot do
these things on a stick, the user interface suggests that it will.

There are many ideas floating around for improving the Journal, but
getting them implemented and installed on all the XO's is a big
undertaking.  If you can accomplish 90% of what you want by making an
Activity then that's probably a better way to go.

Since Deja Vu support is lacking in .82, and PDFs perform poorly,
another possibility is the .cbz format using View Slides to read it.
That performs quite well on the XO.  The difficulty will be creating
CBZs from Internet Archive books.  It's possible, and I describe how
to do it on the web page for View Slides.  It would take some doing to
convert 2,000 books.  Ironically IA provides books in a "flipbook"
format that View Slides could use as is, but the page images are too
small to be readable.  If they were just a bit larger they'd be fine.

Try reading "Jack and the Giants" as a PDF with Read and as a CBZ with
View Slides on an XO and you'll see what I'm talking about.

James Simmons