[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 15:37:27 EDT 2009

Scotty,

The Journal entry that the Activity would create would be in the
Journal proper, and would not point to or in any way require any files
on the stick.  The Activity would work like this:

1).  The child inserts one of your sticks.  Sugar mounts it.
2).  The child uses the Journal to change views from the Journal
proper to the stick.  He will see your bundled files, hopefully named
something more appealing to a child than "Conduct of Life".  He will
also see the Activity.
3).  The child will use the clipboard to copy the Activity to his
Journal (unless he already has it).  He will then Resume one of your
bundles using the Activity.
4).  The Activity will show a scrollable list of books.  The entries
in this table will be tall enough to hold the book cover thumbnail and
information on each book, at minimum title and author.  The
information about the books might be stored in a Dublin Core XML file
which the Activity reads and parses.  The child will select an entry
in this table and click a button in the toolbar of the Activity which
will copy that book to the child's Journal.  This will work somewhat
like Get Internet Archive Books does.  The child will see an
information dialog when the Journal entry is created.  He may then
choose another book to copy, as many times as he wishes, or exit the
Activity.
5).  The child unmounts the stick from the Journal and gives it back
to the teacher.
6).  The child opens one of his new books using the Read Activity.

There was some talk about making Browse work with zipped up websites.
If you had that, you could give your files meaningful names like:

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.djvu

and maybe Browse could download them from the zip file into the
Journal.  But if it did the Journal would have a really ugly name
starting with file:// that the child would have to clean up.  You
would not get any metadata either, just the filename as part of the
title.  Plus Browse cannot do what I have described yet, although it
has been talked about as a future feature.

The Activity I have described could be written so it would work on
Sugar .82, a big plus.  Of course you still have to verify good
support for Deja Vu in .82.  Or use PDF.

I would recommend copying these emails to the IAEP list.  I am by no
means a Sugar expert and you may find others will have something
worthwhile to add to these discussions.

James Simmons