[IAEP] Building a business of Sugar/Jabber

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 21 10:20:28 EDT 2009

Russell Brown wrote:
> My question is: am I allowed to make money from this?

Yes!  The only restriction is the software licenses, which are all "GPL or
less", and should have absolutely no impact on a
distribution/support/training business.*

We actively encourage people to start business distributing and supporting
Sugar.  Moreover, if you encounter difficulties in the process, we want to
know about them and fix them, because we want other people to be able to
do the same thing, all over the world.

We have also been sketching a system in which a company like yours could
be recognized and promoted by Sugar Labs.

Good luck!

--Ben

*: so the only restriction is that if you modify Sugar, you have to make
your modifications available as source code, so that we can integrate your
changes upstream ... but really you'd want to do this anyway, to avoid the
enormous workload of maintaining a private branch.