[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:07:11 EDT 2009

Scotty,

I've been thinking about your project and have some ideas.  These may
be similar to what Sayamindu has already proposed.

You want to distribute a couple of thousand books from Internet
Archive without using the Internet.

As I have said before having over a thousand files on a USB drive
isn't going to work.  The Journal isn't equipped to deal with that.
You had mentioned (I think) the idea of creating content bundles for
this stuff, but content bundles as they exist now aren't going to work
either.  With a content bundle the entire contents of the bundle get
unpacked and stored somewhere, and on the XO there isn't room for
anything that isn't going to be used.  You don't want to install 818
books about "conduct of life" on a kid's laptop.  You want to give him
something that will let him browse through all of those books and pick
one or two to install in his Journal.

One way to make these files manageable would be to collect them by
theme or topic and put the collected books in zip files.  The zip
files would contain the books themselves, the GIF files showing book
covers, and one file containing information about the books, possibly
in the Dublin Core format, more likely in some subset thereof.  In the
Internet Archive database there are a lot of fields that would be
useful if filled in, but more often than not are not.

If you had these collections prepared you could write an Activity to
browse their contents (using the Dublin Core file and the images).
The student would insert a thumb drive containing one or more of these
collections into his XO and fire up an Activity that would read the
Dublin file and create a scrolling list of the titles, including cover
images, title, author, etc.  The student could sort this list by
title, author, etc. then select a book he wants and create an entry
for it in the Journal.  You could prepare sticks which had the
collections on them as well as this Activity.  That way everything
could be done through sneakernet.

The Activity would be a lot like Get Internet Archive Books except it
would work offline and would show the book covers.

James Simmons