[IAEP] Adding a word-count to write

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jul 20 00:14:22 EDT 2009

Thanks Martin,

On 19 Jul 2009, at 10:30, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Nice screen shot! The toolbars look very easy to understand and easy
> use to me. Unfortunately I can't really give much of a critique
> because it's hard for me to think like a primary-school child now :-)

A fair and most valid answer :-) I hope to make a working version of
the TurtleArt Activity using the same design style, as Walter and
Caroline are currently using TA to teach in a school pilot over the
summer. They can likely get some first hand impressions from our real
audience. Now I'd rather have had more feedback before I commit my
time to the work, but no one has screamed blue murder about the
proposed change yet so perhaps it's time...

> Plus I've seen some kids absolutely fly through learning how to use a
> computer so even AbiWord's full on gui is accessible rather quickly
> anyway.

:-)

> Just to let you know, one new feature in AbiWord-2.8  we really should
> expose to Write are annotations. These will be very useful for
> teachers to comment and correct submitted work from children.
>
> Giving full control over annotations within the context of  Write's
> simplified toolbar will be a challenge and it would be great to get
> feedback on exactly which parts of an an annotation feature should be
> provided.

I managed to find:

	http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Annotations

...but no screen-shots or mock-ups of the feature set. Do you know if
there are any available yet?

Regards,
--Gary