[IAEP] [support-gang] An Opportunity to bring vital content to the Sugar/XO world - Needs technical help.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jul 19 05:57:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:51, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not sure why Caroline's email didn't reached IAEP, wrong email address?
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:17, Caryl Bigenho<cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> I agree that content is something we desperately need for Sugar and the XO.
>> But, I don't quite understand your proposal.  Is Innovations For Learning
>> offering us their software for free to adapt?
>
> They have offered at least some of it. More may come but I don't know
> about it yet. See:
>
> http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/progress-on-sugar-activities-with-swf.html
>
>> If so, what language is it
>> in?
>
> Flash, developed specifically to run on Gnash.
>
>> Is the source code available?
>
> Yes, though in the .fla format that as far as I know can only be
> edited with the proprietary tools from Adobe.
>
>> Or, is this something you think our volunteer programmers should try to
>> reverse-engineer and create for Sugar and the XO?
>
> Well, what I would like to see (but may not be what Caroline had in
> mind) is someone with access to the Adobe tools and some Flash
> knowledge to debug the EatBoom swf file and see why the game is not
> progressing to the next levels after the first three or so sums have
> been completed.

Forgot to mention that the SWF file is here:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/eatboom/repos/mainline/blobs/master/EatBoom.swf

And that in Adobe's Flash it's progressing to the next level, it's
only with a recent version of Gnash that fails to do so. A Flash
developer might be able to fix it in the .fla file, or might give an
explanation of why it's failing in recent versions of Gnash.

Regards,

Tomeu