[IAEP] Sugar Labs market analysis

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 18 06:41:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 17:16, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Fred Grose has started an interesting wiki page at
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Sugar_Labs/Roadmap discussing the
>> Sugar Labs roadmap.  One of the interesting parts of that page is the
>> discussion about 'what is FLOSS?'  In particular it highlights the
>> communication challenges between participates in a project which
>> crosses the Technology - Education barrier.
>>
>> Sugar Labs is in rather unique position.
>>
>> The project bridges the gap between software and education using
>> collaborative development methodologies.
>
> Isn't Moodle in the same position? What about Skolelinux? Can we learn
> from those projects?

Rather unique, not totally unique:)

Knut, from SkoleLinux, has been one of the people I lean on most
heavily for advice:)  His years with SkoleLinux have given him a very
practical outlook on the technical needs and realities at of schools.
SkoleLinux seems to be more of a product rather than a project base on
building a platform and ecosystem on top of that platform.  This gives
them a rather more limited scope. -- great market awareness and
practicality.

Moodle has done a great job combining education and open source.  By
hosting Moodle on a server, they isolate the interactions between the
technical and education aspects of the project more than SL can.  Also
because Moodle is a server side project, it takes _much_ less effort
on the deployment support side of the project.  -- great education
content and material emphasis.

Now, if we add and learn from:
eclipse - great ecosystem support
fedora - great developer community
firefox - great market penetration

We should be in pretty good shape:)

Note: This list is not meant to imply that other project are not
great!  These five projects have succeed in areas in which I am
interested and hope we can emulate within and around Sugar Labs.

david

David Farning
Sugar Labs
www.sugarlabs.org