[IAEP] (engineering) capacity building

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jul 17 10:46:24 EDT 2009

Truly inspiring thread:)

It looks like everyone participating in this thread is coming to the
same conclusion using examples and models derived from their own
experiences and personalities.  I am pretty sure there is an education
theory about that....

That conclusion is contributor _impact_.

Of the successful not-for-profits and community organizations I have
studied, one of the common threads is a near maniacal emphasis on the
importance of contributors feeling the impact of their contribution on
the project.

Caroline, being Caroline, makes a list of list of high impact tasks
and starts recruiting people for those task.  This approach not only
solves the identified task.  It identifies and engages contributors
with important skills.  The stickiness of these contributors will be
high. Their early contact with the project with be fulfilling due to
the high impact nature of their initial contribution.

Christoph and Bastien, the writers, notes that the productivity of new
contributors is enhanced by good documentation.  Good documentation
reduces that learning curve for potential contributors.  A participant
who can sit down, create a simple activity, and upload it to the
activities portal in an evening is much more likely to contribute
again.

One can feel the _impact_ of writing and uploading an activity.
Wading through wiki pages is not particularly fulfilling.

Tomeu does a cost benefit analysis. (Is the cost of including and
maintain this code worth the benefit it provides?)  He notes that it
_can_ be frustrating to engage participants who are not able to
contribute in a meaning full way.  The potential contributor wants to
help but _may_ not be able figure out how.  Existing contributors
_may_ get frustrated because they feel they are using a
disproportionate amount of their time working with new contributors.
He cautions toward stacking the deck with new contributors who are
likely to make high impact contributions quickly.  This is fulfilling
for both the new participate and the mentor.

This is not to say that saturation recruitment (is that a valid term?)
is bad.  But, it is important to create on-ramps (such as the above
documentation) and processes to insure that the signal-to-noise ratio
of new participants is manageable.

Sean tries to tie these themes together into the consistent and
comprehensive Sugar Labs message.  It is interesting to note that from
a marketing pov he emphasizes that it is easier to attract and engage
contributors in a project with high viability and value.

Everyone feel pride in their first kernel patch.  Many people spend
tens and even hundreds of hours on white space changes just to improve
code readability:)

As long as we focus on the common theme of 'increasing the impact' of
contributors, the community will continue to grow.

While these examples have been developer focused, the same themes
apply to engaging contributors in the deployment and teaching areas of
the project.

david

David Farning
Sugar Labs