[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Cleaning up 0.86 Roadmap page

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 16 06:18:19 EDT 2009

Sayamindu Dasgupta schrieb:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Christoph
> Derndorfer<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>> Caroline Meeks schrieb:
>>> ==Avoid surplus Activity launching==
>>> Don't let the user keep opening activities until the machine crashes or
>>> is driven to its knees.  Make it less likely that a user who is
>>> impatient will end up opening multiple copies of an activity.
>>> * Priority C for GPA
>> +1
>>
>> In my (very) limited classroom experience this is quite an issue and out
>> of 20 children you will always have 2~3 which have launched several
>> activity instances bringing their XO to an absolute standstill.
>> Restarting Sugar takes quite a bit of time and very much disrupts the
>> classroom workflow.
>>

>>From a technical perspective, could we use libunique[1] here ?
> -sdg-

I think that generally we don't want to forbid running multiple
instances of an activity because there are many use cases where this
makes sense.

What we much rather need (IMHO) is some sort of way to guess whether the
user really wanted to launch a separate instance or not. A primitive
heuristic could be to disable launching an activity while an instance of
that same activity is being started.

Another, though related, issue is trying to keep users from launching
too many activities at the same time. From my experience the XO-1 seems
to handle approx. 4 activities in parallel quite well but quickly
becomes unresponsive once more activities are launched. This is why I
really liked the activity ring in the early days of Sugar as it gave
some sort of visual feedback when too many activities were running at
the same time.

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer