[IAEP] GPA notes Thursday 7-9-09

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:29:33 EDT 2009

We will be reburning the sticks on Monday to get a new version of Turtle Art
on.  Some of the core activities can't be updated via
Activities.sugarlabs.org.  This is a bug we should fix.

Please let us know if there are any other things you think we should do or
add to the stick.  I know there is talk about Jabber_IDs all being the same
being part of our collaboration issue so we'll probably get rid of those
too.

Did we have one stick failure or did everyone's sticks eventually work?

For the first day we had everyones computer all set up and booted and we
used extension cables.  This time we had the kids plug the USBs directly
into the front of the machines then turn the machines on.  Some needed help
with this as the USB ports are very annoying on these computers.  Once the
boot started we had them goto the rug and Walter talked while the machines
booted.  Next time we should try to time the amount of time it takes from
walking into the room to everyone's computer is booted.  This is critical
number for use in schools.

This project, using Turtle Art to label maps with the activities they are
doing this summer is going to be very interesting. For instance, the kids
have not been exposed to coordinate systems before.  They are definitely
being challenged and having to develop new ways of thinking which is what we
want.  They are defintiely engaged and motivated so I think they will be
able to do it.  The teachers had a clear theme for the summer (community)
and themes for each week. I think that helped us find a good project.

The projector works well for teaching.  I wonder if the XO deployments would
be well served by a "Projector Activity" where one person could share their
screen with the rest of the class.  It could be used by the teacher or for
students to do the equivlent of going up to the board to work a problem for
the class.  At the GPA, with the setup we have, having the kids come to the
center rug and using the actual projector and a laptop is probably better
for us.

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com