[IAEP] [support-gang] Still Problems Saving in Scratch. Who Can Solve This Mystery?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jul 5 10:02:59 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Martin Dengler<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 10:55:39PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>>
>> OK, I tried the code in the Terminal Activity again a few times,
>> being sure I was typing it in correctly and now I get this result:
> [...]
>> Then it returns a prompt.  All very colorful, but I haven't a clue
>> what it all means.
>
> You're not typing what they asked you to (since it's gibberish to you
> that's understandable).  You typed
>
> ls ld ~olpc/Activities/Scratch.activity
>
> ...but you want to type:
>
> ls -ld ~olpc/Activities/Scratch.activity

For those of us who had (still have) trouble remembering the somewhat
terse nature of linux commands:-/

'ls'  -> The command.  LiSt the contents of a directory.
' -'   -> space dash -> get ready for some one letter modifiers.
'l'    -> Long -> Shows you huge amounts of information (permissions,
owners, size, and when last modified.)
'
'd' - >Directory ->  If an argument is a directory it only lists its
name not its contents.
' ~olpc/Activities/Scratch.activity' -> note the space -> The argument
which tells the command which directory to look at.

The tilde is a shortcut to point at you 'home' directory.

check out http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ls.htm for more
information.

david

> (note the minus sign, and where the spaces are)
>
>> See my initial message at the bottom to see what the problem is
>> saving a Scratch project on XOs running build 802.
>
> I think Bryan's answered your original question: one has to change the
> folder in which one saves from the default that's offered.
>
>> I do notice that the code on the prompt varies with the machine:
>> olpc at xo-27-90-C8 ~]$
>> olpc at xo-0D-5C-68 ~]$
>> olpc at xo-27-8A-0F ~]$
>> I assume these are just individual codes for each machine.
>
> Your assumption is correct.
>
>> Have others experienced this problem saving in Scratch?  Is it new
>> to 802?  Is there an easy fix? I will be happy to "grannie-fy" it
>> into the wiki and or FLOSS manual if you tell me what it is!
>
> The fix is what Bryan said:
>
>> > You can save projects in scratch by putting them in a certain folder.
>
>> > (1) Click save
>
>> > (2) When the save dialog comes up, click the "Desktop" button on the
>> > left.
>
>> > (3) Type the name of your project, and click OK
>

>> > The Desktop shortcut goes to
>> > /home/olpc/isolation/1/uid_to_home_dir/10000/data, which I guess you
>> > can save to from within Scratch.
>
>> > Screenshot of dialog after clicking Desktop (and revealing the path):
>> > http://shell.sugarlabs.org/~bjordan/Picture%2038.png
>

>> Thanks,Caryl
>
> Martin

David Farning