[IAEP] Reading (was Re: changes in outlook with Sugar

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 12:09:07 EDT 2009

Edward,

I think you have an interesting idea here.  It reminded me of the
scene in _2001 A Space Odyssey_ where Hal 9000 is having the higher
functions of his brain disconnected and he tries to sing "Daisy" while
he still has enough connected to do it.  From my experience working
with espeak I'd say that getting a computer to sing, even badly, may
be beyond what we can reasonably do today.  Espeak can speak at
different pitches and rates, but I don't think you can change pitch
and rate while speech is going on and if you could that's still a long
way off from actual singing.

If there is value in making a Sugar Activity that acts as a regular
Karaoke machine that may be doable.  There is Karaoke software written
in Python that can do Karaoke and it can play OGG files.  It may be
possible to make a Sugar Activity version of this software.  It's
called cdgtools and the link is: http://www.kibosh.org/cdgtools/.

James Simmons