[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] netbook as terminology

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:36:04 EDT 2009

When we began the project, I lobbied to call it a Children's Machine (CM) in
reference both to Seymour Papert's book and as a reference to the CM series
of "connection machines" that Danny Hillis created at Thinking Machines,
another effort where they through away the rules to make a solution to fit a
class of problems rather than make the problem fit the solution.

Of course, XO is a brilliant name, that come from our design team as I
recall, and I don't doubt that it was the correct decision for OLPC at the
time.

I don't know that we should decide to push a name change on the market. The
point I will make at the Desktop Summit is that the marketing of netbooks
with 3G set an expectation that they are part of the "cloud" and that the
push for bigger, fatter, faster netbooks has eroded the opportunity to think
about new approaches to computing that smaller and lighter afford. But there
remain opportunities to redefine the desktop, keeping it relevant, in many
areas, ours being K-6. Even in the "developed" world, the Internet is not
everywhere, e.g., most classrooms, and as much as it has been good for the
service providers to pitch it as true, the cloud is not right solution to
every problem.

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs