[IAEP] changes in outlook with Sugar (was Re: Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW)

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 07:38:25 EDT 2009

Hi Erick,

All very good and well thought through comments. And these points are the take off places that many thoughtful people have arrived at over the last many decades. One of the grandparents of this line of thinking was the Plato project at the University of Illinois in the 60s, which eventually produced many thousands of hours of usable (and some not so useful) interactive curricula.

They too realized that some of the keys were (a) to make an authoring system for content authors which could facilitate the creation of curricula, and (b) that it was critical to give feedback and be able to make judgments about what the students were doing.

Their authoring system was called Tutor and they made a number of versions over the years.

It's worth studying what was good about this effort and what fell short. Something better could be done today, but the real problems of Tutor and Plato still remain as unsolved. So it's quite possible that the "something better" could still fall short.

This is not a good enough reason not to try, but it's an example (along with many) that initiatives today should learn about and be able to start at the state of the art rather than not learn from the past and wind up reinventing what equally smart people did 40 years ago.  (Not that you are, that was just a general observation about how the lack of awareness of historical designs has crippled so many efforts today.)

Cheers,

Alan