[IAEP] Communicating project goals and Roadmap

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:37:02 EDT 2009

OK Tomeu

To be clear, I'm making a distinction between marketing (in the
spreading the word to regular people sense, not in the FOSS community
building sense) and deploying. I fully agree we need to nurture a
large and wide downstream FOSS community.

So there's no narrowing of who deploys it, but a prioritization of how
we can get the word out to the most teachers and parents.

I hope to see Sugar included in distros, but I hope even more they
make an effort to get it out to classrooms. To me, such an effort
would merit our marketing support. I actually think distros could be
much more out in front in the education sector, and Sugar could help
distros leap ahead in K-6, an opportunity they should seize. Look at
the Dell education netbook: Ubuntu went to the trouble of being the
standard OS on it (Windows on option), but they missed the boat on
making Sugar a central part of their K-6 offer. I'd like to work on
that with them. Dell claims 500 school districts have already ordered
the netbooks; rather than write them off, I'd like those buyers to
know that they could run Sugar off an SD-Card for each Learner, a
nominal expense to obtain the best learning environment for smaller
children.

Distros are not good at "vertical marketing", something Apple for
example excels in and which Microsoft has copied these past few years
(look at their medical industry push). There are historical and
traditional reasons for that, but the situation is that distros are
ill-prepared to make a difference in education without helpers. We can
be a helper, in fact we are uniquely qualified to help in K-6. Perhaps
a different way to look at it is to enumerate the places where there
have been major GNU/Linux projects in K-6 education and concentrate on
those?

Any model where we can help OEMs sell netbooks is a model that can
broaden distros' tiny marketshare. That's no betrayal of our education
mission, because we don't exclude running Sugar on an old PC with a $5
USB stick, or on a Mac, or even on Windows with virtualization - Sugar
can arrive in front of a Learner by many technical means.

If breaking out of marginal marketshare is interesting to distros, we
can help them do that together. It requires marketing work on their
part though, the technical work is a necessary prerequisite but is
insufficient.

Sean