[IAEP] Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 09:47:18 EDT 2009

Heh heh, yes your comment about smog is quite a digression (because Henry Ford is just a stand in), but it does underline the huge qualitative difference between knowledge and outlook (a society with a much stronger outlook would choose to make vehicles that didn't generate smog and be willing to pay the whole price for it).

Sounds like an interesting farmer, but one would expect that he would use his larger perspectives to be more successful (a digression also I confess).

I pretty much agree that one of the purposes of schools is to exceed the parental context when that is below threshold (not so easy even when the school is terrific -- cf studies of "blue collar culture inertia" in the UK).

I think there is a bit of an analogy to books and other materials. If there are a reasonable number of books in a freely available school library then a lot of progress can be made without personal ownership, in part because when a child wants to read for any reason, they have a good chance of finding a book without having to put off the impulse for too long. Seymour Papert observed that a school which had a special room in which the five pencils and the only writing materials available could only be used for a few hours a week, was not a viable model for pencils or books or for computers.

A more complex question has to do the the customs of subsistence cultures which do a lot of sharing of scarce materials. Even though those might be the customs, it could be that that depth of sharing is simply a dead end -- this argument has been made strongly wrt the enormous change in outlook from the Middle Ages to the 17th century that was brought by both abundant and privately read printed books. I'm more on the side of this argument than against it. Being able to form your own point of view outside the prevailing social context seems very worthwhile to me, even with its dangers -- this is a very large part of the difference between traditional cultures which are good at coping but not good at progressing, and the much rarer cultures which have a sense that "normal" is not the same as "reality" and therefor it has the possibility of being changed for the better.

Best wishes,

Alan