[IAEP] Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:51:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:08 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Maria Droujkova<droujkova at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In theory, teachers are supposed to be a critical pool of significant
> >> adults, especially for the fields -- such as math and science -- in
> which
> >> most parents are not adept or interested. In the US, this is
> unfortunately
> >> also the case for most elementary school teachers, and (way too) many
> middle
> >> and high school teachers.
> >>
> >> Serious "juvenile" science fiction stories and novels -- not TV or
> movies
> >> -- in the 40s and 50s were a great alternative. For example, those by
> >> Heinlein, Asimov, Clark, etc.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Alan
> >
> > Juvenile science fiction and fantasy has been increasingly moving from
> > technology focus to social and psychological topics. What kids read now
> is
> > much more likely to be about touch moral choices than about fancy future
> > technologies. This may be a part of the general lack of math in juvenile
> > cultures, including social web sites.
> >
> > MariaD
>
> While this is an interesting topic.  It is getting pretty far from the
> goals of Sugar Labs, to create and promote a learning platform.
>
> There are numerous forums for discussing education theory.  This
> particular forum, and project, are geared toward turning those
> theories into activites and content which can used, tested, and
> assessed in classrooms.
>
> thanks
> david

David,

Here are particular project connections for me. I have three related ones,
and I am searching for ways to support them on this platform. Discussions
help me think of the ways. Apologies about not sharing the connections
earlier.

- "My young apprentice" is a framework for kids forging connections with
professionals during micro-apprenticeships, while creating shareable media
on a social platform.
- "Math 2.0" is a topic I am investigating at the moment, which includes
looking at larger society trends surrounding math-rich media. What math
content is naturally created and shared by kids with kids? It used to be
sci-fi, but not as much anymore. Some multi-player games are promising.
- Just today I had a conversation with a parent of a 3yo about larger
meaning of some of our Early Algebra activities. Understanding immediate
importance (rather than 12 years down the road, as Subbu said) of deep
thinking is a crucial piece of activity adoption by parents and teachers. If
this understanding is "packaged" with activities, they have much higher
chances of surviving beyond the lab where they are developed.

Cheers,
MariaD