[IAEP] Communicating project goals and Roadmap

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 1 12:18:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 00:40, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> This thread is an attempt to help clean up a couple of issues that
>> have been cropping up over the past couple of months.
>>
>> There have been a couple of instances of suboptimal communication
>> between different parts of the project.
>>
>> Several times recently, external organizations have been looking for a
>> big picture view of what is happening at Sugar Labs.
>>
>> The .84 release was pretty easy to coordinate.  The development team
>> picked a release date about six months after .82.  The developers
>> followed the time line pretty well.  Simon did a fantastic just with
>> just a stick and a handful of carrots as release manager getting
>> getting the release shipped on time.  The only two external
>> organizations we worked with closely were Fedora and OLPC.
>>
>> With the midterm release of Strawberry, we have seen the importance of
>> improving communication with more internal groups and external
>> organizations.
>>
>> Internally, we have seen the importance of synchronizing development,
>> marketing, and the project as a whole's time lines and goals.
>>
>> Externally, we have seen a significant increase in external
>> organization participation.  Several university have express
>> interested in working with SL.  Several distributions are becoming
>> more involved. Several new pilots and deployments are participating in
>> Sugar development rather than just consuming Sugar.
>>
>> A first step will be to start working on project and team level road
>> maps which assign dates and champions to significant events.
>>
>> Sugar Labs and each team already have  roadmap pages listed.  Over the
>> next couple of weeks, I would like to work with the development, SoaS,
>> marketing, infrastructure teams to create roadmaps and goals.  (This
>> is not to exclude any other teams participation.)
>>
>> Then using iteration and project level goals we can start linking the
>> roadmaps together.
>
> Sounds great!
>
> Tomeu

There is now a very rough draft/outline at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Roadmap .

I'll continue hacking away at it and linking to team roadmaps.

As always, I try to focus on what is fair, sane, implementable as
starting points.

There is a good change I am wrong and/or missing important bits.

There is a _very_ good chance this is suboptimal.

david

--
David Farning
Sugar Labs