[IAEP] [OLPC library] bookreader at lists.laptop.org , collaborations with the gnubook project

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Fri Jan 23 18:16:42 EST 2009

Mikus,

Some readers are mainly accessed online, but a reader is not a 'web'
service per se, it is an interface.  Now it's true that every
interface is a service of a sort... I could host an fbreader instance
for you, but that wouldn't change anything.

Comparing fbreader with a standalone gnubook instance (say by adding
gnubook support to evince, which we are considering), and with the
current Read activity (which should be more flexible than just a pdf
reader to live up to its name, and read all formats), is a pertinent
subject to address.

I think it likely that the best readers will not require the overhead
of a browser, but there are certain advantages to readers that work
the same online and off.

SJ