[IAEP] Web4dev conference in Feb - taking suggestions

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jan 15 14:34:12 EST 2009

I'll be headed to NYC to hang out at UNICEF for this - let me know if
there's anything I should be bringing up / anyone I should be meeting /
talking-to / etc. - it's the 2nd week of Feb. As usual, copious notes
will be taken and posted. (Ed McNierney has declared the "Mel-a-gram" a
new form of communication, wherein to get ridiculously detailed notes
from something all you have to do is send me there. ;)

http://www.web4dev.org/index.php/Main_Page

I'm also looking for good questions to ask, problems to bring up on
behalf of the SL (and OLPC) communities, and that sort of thing - I told
the folks who invited me that I would be going for the "Innovation
Track," which talks about... *copypaste*

"Web4Dev Innovation Track is divided into 3 workshops, each addressing
one of three key event themes: Access to Innovation, Monitoring and
Evaluation and the Supply Chain. Leaders representing each of these
areas of innovation will guide participants in thought-provoking
discussion and real-world problem-solving exercises.

Improving Access to Information & Communities of Practice – How can new
developments in technology support access to information in the most
extreme circumstances? For example, what are the most efficient
strategies for providing education or rapid assessments in emergencies
and remote locations? How can communities of practice and social
reporting contribute to and strengthen development?

Monitoring and Evaluation – What are the best practices for using mobile
technologies for monitoring and evaluation? Which case studies and
initiatives can be reproduced on a global scale? What amount and kind of
data can we get from mobile phones? How valuable is it? How can it
improve our programming? What is the incentive to report and the
significance of social reporting?

Supporting the Supply Chain – From procurement to delivery and use - How
do we support the delivery of supply-chain items using technologies like
mobile phones, SMS, and PDAs for communication, stocktaking and
results-driven process change? How do we address challenges such as
low-budgets, and delivery to remote locations and in emergency
situations? What are the challenges and potential innovative solutions
for: forecasting, shipping, documentations, customs processing,
handling, storage conditions, type of transport, distribution
methodology and end-user use?"

--Mel