[IAEP] packaging sugar in all major distros

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 13 08:11:12 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2009, at 10:59, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> have just created a page where to track the packaging effort in each
>> distro:
>>
>> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Packaging
>>
>> If packagers were so kind to maintain their bits updated, it will give
>> an idea to Sugar developers of which platforms are best suited to test
>> the development release of Sugar. So we can direct to those when
>> someone volunteers to do some Sugar testing.
>>
>> I'm a bit worried about the amount of testing we are going to get in
>> 0.83, as OLPC used to test development releases in their joyride
>> builds but that's probably not going to happen at time for the 0.84
>> release.
>
> Oh my, so does this mean OLPC no longer have the skills left needed to
> make XO distro builds of Sugar? They're not even 'downstream' any
> more? Or did I miss-read and it is just that there's no head-count
> left for putting in testing/QA hours on said XO distro builds?
>
> --Gary

We are trying to divide the work based on who does what--well.  The
existing distributions are good very, very good at combining upstream
projects into a usable distributions.

For the upcoming release, OLPC, SL, and Fedora will work together so
that the XO will run a _slightly_ modified version of fedora.  The
customer will have a choice of hardware, distribution, and GUI.  If we
do our jobs right, the XO, Fedora, Sugar stack will become the
obviously choice in the educational market.

By modularizing development based on hardware, distribution, and
learning platform, the customer will benefit by choice.  As developers
we will benefit by closer integration with the existing Linux
ecosystem.

david