[IAEP] Aiban's thoughts on SL funding/bounties

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Jan 9 11:21:52 EST 2009

There was a comment on my blog post I thought folks might be interested
in (from http://blog.melchua.com/2009/01/08/melavailabilityfree/).

SLOBS might need to do the first, as I imagine #1 would involve The
Legal Paperwork Stuff, but #2 and #3 can be community, for sure.

Thoughts?

------

Good for you. But no need to limit this new opportunity to exclusively a
voluntary role. For people like me, it is now easier to determine where
my OLPC related donations and mindshare should go to in order to support
OSS-education.

Some ideas:
1) Sugarlabs should create a way to become a supporting “member.” One
time donations are great, but harder to budget payroll on for an
enthusiastic team of developers. Plus, it gives donors bragging rights
when they pull out their “membership card” to show their buddies.

2) How about an activity bounties page? I know some people who would be
more than happy to put a bounty on for improvements on the video chat
activity.

3) OLPC will happen, and very soon, but probably not through the XO
brand (at least not exclusively). OSS and cheap hardware will be key to
this, and it will not be limited to 3rd world countries. Seems like a
nice niche for consulting. I know who I would NOT be calling if I happen
to be sponsoring a school to establish OSS based learning. Let the world
know you are available and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, I strongly believe that history will show this is all for the
better for all of us. Cheers!

By Aibun on Jan 8, 2009 | Edit