[IAEP] Flash at Sugar Labs

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:12:43 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>> Personally, I don't believe that Sugar Labs the organization needs to be concerned with any of these four points.
>
> Ahh, but a recurring question from existing Sugar deployments is how to get Flash, why Flash doesn't run faster, etc.

This appears to contradict the following statement.

>> Currently Sugar is incapable of running software which is not specifically designed for it.
>
> Sugar runs simpler SWF applications just fine, through the Browser.  They don't have to be
> "designed" for Sugar.

This thread isn't about simpler SWF files (punch the monkey, etc).
It's about learning activities written in Flash.  OTOH, if web games
etc get better as a result, great.

>> The question is whether the Sugar *software* is flexible enough to adapt to the needs of its users.  Who are we to say what they should install, and what tools they should use to make their content?
>
>The question is what answer you provide to this crucial question.

It's not my question to answer, nor Sugar Labs.  It's a good idea to
support other OSS software, but not when it runs counter to the
mission of the project.  Macromedia created, supported and marketed
Flash.  They deserve to make some money from it.  Gnash will be a
wonderful solution when it's ready for prime time.  But it's up to the
deployments (the practicality folks) to decide what software to use,
we just have to make it work with the rest of our system.

-Wade