[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] How to Make Activity Designers Happy , Parts I and II

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Jan 2 15:52:51 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:25:13PM -0800, Bryan Berry wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 15:18 -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> (3) We need lots more Activities.
>
>While there is consensus on this point, there is not consensus on the
>best way to get a lot more Activities. That is, pulling a lot more
>developers into building learning activities that run on Sugar.

I see some orthogonal proposals at work:

   a) supply better compatibility with existing X11 apps.

   b) offer genuine support for popular software platforms (e.g. flash
      and java?) even on space-constrained hardware platforms like the
      XO.

   c) catalyze the creation and improvement of free authoring and
      remixing environments for popular mime-types uncovered by existing
      free offerings or the available environments are unusable on the
      available hardware

Consequently, it seems to me that the most useful political discussion
we can have now is over how to work through the obvious conflict between
the "libre" folks and the "usability" folks. Thoughts?

Michael

P.S. - (By all means, please continue the practical idea-by-idea
brainstorming occuring on Tomeu's thread in parallel with this
meta-thread!)