[IAEP] RFC: Supporting olpc-ish Deployments - Draft 1

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:39:19 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually the model for the website/wiki already exists. It is DART at
> the Bering Straits School District. They have married mediawiki with
> their own software to provide a killer tool. The standards, lesson
> plans, etc. are in a wiki. DART maintains a data base which allows
> teachers to see/record the status of each of their students in each area
> of each subject/strand.

Thank you. I will check that out.

Earth Treasury is creating a Web site for its projects in
infrastructure (electrical generation and storage, Internet), digital
textbooks, and microfinance. We intend to collect curriculum materials
from around the world, and offer to create teaching materials that
integrate Sugar software and XO hardware capabilities. Volunteers will
be welcome to scratch any of their own itches, and we will offer to
create the most urgently needed materials on contract with Ministries
of Education, aid agencies, or anybody else with funding.

> Having the curriculum standards in a wiki makes it trivial for each
> deployment to set that up for their own requirements cross linked to
> anything relevant.
>
> Tony
>
> Berry wrote:
>
>  >From Michael's questions:
>
>  > > * Is there anything we could spend our time on which would yield a
>  > > greater
>  > > return on investment?
>
> The most helpful thing I can think of right now would be a
> special-purpose website/wiki only for curricula. Each curriculum should
> map to a course in moodle.sugarlabs.org. We need to start the process of
> mapping standard curricula to the open-source resources (quizzes,
> readings, activities) that are available in some sort of intelligible
> order. Then an interested developer or educator could start plugging in
> the holes.
>
> Really, all is needed is some kind of special-purpose wiki mapped to
> moodle. No special software. The hard and incredibly *unsexy* work is
> uploading the n curricula from X states/countries and mapping it to
> sequenced materials. We can talk about quality, pedagogy ad infinitum
> but the vast majority of teachers don't have a starting point to even
> provide mediocre education beyond what they are currently provided by
> their own governments.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Ed Cherlin)