[IAEP] Literacy, or one reason why it's an education project...

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sun Feb 15 12:27:16 EST 2009

I heard this story this morning, and it was very inspiring to me.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100677646

It was especially meaningful because I have been working on a related
project that pertains to literacy learning. I would like to invite your
attention to SynPhony, Multilingual Synthetic Phonics Literacy, a new
project I have started with Norbert Rennert, a researcher at the Canada
Institute of Linguistics.  It is intended to be a literacy resource for XO
activities that use words (perhaps paired with images) as their
underpinning, as well as a resource in other educational contexts.  Any
feedback would be welcome.  Right now you will find the project scope and
background described and 14 use cases documented.  By the end of this week
we should have a first release with the database  and some initial web-based
interfaces packaged for download.

http://synphony.wiki.sourceforge.net/

The wiki is set up to allow discussion to be open to everyone but the pages
to be updateable by project members.  If the project interests anyone, we'd
love some help.  I'll be posting a "help wanted" later this week, but it
will certainly include a need for educators to help define mappings to
common reading curricula, any volunteers interested in helping bind images
to the words in the database, and programmers to help make various
activities draw their vocabulary from the word bank.  We also need language
experts to extend the database to other languages, as we only have English
and Spanish so far, and the Spanish database is smaller (10,000 words) than
the English database (44,000 words).

Regards,

Carol Lerche