[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Future of Zero Sugar

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Dec 15 01:07:48 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:16:02AM +0545, Bryan Berry wrote:
> I strongly agree w/ tomeu on this.
>
> Making Sugar easier to contribute to isn't anywhere near the top of the list
> of requested features by our kids and teachers in Nepal.
>
> The far and away most requested feature by teachers in Nepal is a mechanism
> for kids to "turn in homework." I am not talking about invasive testing
> here. The typical Nepali teacher just wants to know which students out of
> 50-70 kids are failing to understand basic concepts.

I absolutely agree with such points, but:

* as a 3rd party developer, I don't see such teachers requests listed
  somewhere on wiki, that let me see what can I do and peek most
  interesting/suitable-for-my-skils/etc task

* I'm feeling huge discomfort as a developer when I need to package
  binary blobs to my .xo, w/o instrument which let me unify
  installing/upgrading process of such non-SP/specific-to-my-activity
  dependencies

* I'm feeling less(but still big) discomfort as a developer when I
  don't have standard method to share my core related changes,
  for-testing-purposes/to-show-what-I-have-in-mind, well "please, attach
  my cloned repos, install them" still works but not so attractive for
  users

* implementing Zero Sugar initiative, in my mind, is providing
  "fishing-rod" for developers/doers instead of "feeding" users
  thus has prime priority

Aleksey