[IAEP] Wanted: List of Sugar activities for the XO-1.5

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Dec 5 19:05:56 EST 2009

Hi Mike,

On 5 Dec 2009, at 20:43, Mike Dawson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The GCompris stuff is very very nice indeed and I would highly
> recommend having some of them.  Even just because it has such great
> demo power and then further activities can be installed from the
> school server.

My concern with GCompris ports is they do not follow even the most basic of Sugar UI standards, many don't even support keeping a Journal resume state. There's are some nice applications, but highly concerned they dilute understanding of basic Sugar behaviours and UI expectations if installed as default demos of "what is good".

Regards,
--Gary

> I would recommend against including finance by default.  As laptops
> are given out by government agencies in countries where people are
> often suspicious of the government and it's often the time that they
> are trying to increase tax revenue this might well lead to suspicions.
> We otherwise would have loved to include it.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Mike (in Afghanistan)
>
> 2009/12/6 Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>:
>> Here's a list of activities that I think would be great, both worth starring
>> and worth having unstarred (it's a large enough list now that it's confusing
>> to have them all on the home screen by default, but there are lots of great
>> activities that people who know about them will want even when they're
>> offline with no way to get new activities).
>>
>> There may be another 5-10 of these that are worth unstarring for a clean,
>> useful firstboot home screen...  I'm testing these over the weekend.
>>
>> OLPCorps classes had lovely stories about using both Micropolis and Moon
>> with parents and students becoming interested because of those activities
>> (Moon for religious reasons).
>>
>> Words still accumulates bad characters at the start of its input field if
>> you keep using it and encounter words with accents, but it's also been very
>> useful.
>>
>> Read Etexts is a bit redundant with Get Books, but it is lovely in its own
>> focused way, and small.
>>
>> OOo4kids and Gcompris (a suitable subset) would be excellent additions...
>> both have sizeable development communities compared to most of the
>> activities here
>>
>> SJ
>>

>>> TO TEST:
>>>
>>> ==============