[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Assessment in Karma

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:44:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
> We mostly assess that which can easily be measured rather than that which relates to the important education outcomes.

Yes. We mostly assess that which can be easily measured _by humans_.
Imagine how it goes when we narrow that to the paltry bit that
computers can assess... and computers spit out cute, glowing 3D
rendered numbers.

> Bad practice is already entrenched in national curricula, does automating bad practice (lower order assessment) mean that it can be done in less time, leaving more time for good practice, or does it further entrench bad practice? That seems to be the central point in this discussion. I don't have an answer, but for me, automating lower order assessments would be a low priority project.

I agree with your take on the discussion. But we don't automate bad
practice, we make it narrower, hence worse. What we can automate is so
narrow that the big numbers that come out of a tiny slice of it will
overshadow everything.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions