[IAEP] Physics - Lesson plans ideas?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Aug 15 23:39:33 EDT 2009

I agree 100% with Alan about simulations by themselves not being science
(as tempting as it is for schools wishing to save money by scrapping
their labs to think so), but given the general direction of this
discussion I wanted to point out an old system written in Smalltalk
called the Alternate Reality Kit (ARK). You can get a movie about it
here:

http://www.open-video.org/details.php?videoid=8050

or download the mpeg4 version (101MB) from this alternative site:

http://ftp.squeak.org/Media/Historical/siggraph_01_m4.mp4

Several important physical parameters could be changed using slides,
creating alternate realities in which to try out traditional physics
experiments.

-- Jecel