[IAEP] Looking for very old hardware

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Fri Aug 7 11:03:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:55:33PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> I would like very much to be able to put these old 5 1/2" floppies in,
> boot them up and print out the code so some enterprising Python
> programmer could convert them for Sugar.  I'm not even sure the disks
> will still work.  They are probably 20+ years old.
Sorry to be unhelpful, but I doubt those floppies still work. I have
thrown away all my 3.5" disks some years ago because they all had
errors, and the 5.25" ones long before. Disks usually last about 5
years, maybe 10 if you're lucky (depends on magnetic fields in the
vicinity, including the earth magnetic field).
If you've got a chance go and try, but I wouldn't recommend spending any
money on it.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/