[IAEP] 70 minute interview with Bryan Berry on XO deployment in Nepal

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Apr 28 12:06:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:37:42PM +0930, Bill Kerr wrote:
> I've transcribed a large portion of this interview on my blog:
> http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2009/04/olpc-nepal-project-overview.html
>
> might be handy if you don't have 60 minutes to spare

Thanks very much - 5 mins. vs. 60 mins...makes all the difference.

The portion that I'll paraphrase as "content is king" (or "create the
content and the hardware orders will come", for a longer version) made
me re-think the ebook-concept-as-trojan-horse argument that's been
made before: its big advantage is that it short-circuits the "lack of
content" problem by definition: it seems popular discourse takes for
granted that e-book readers are separate to e-books but not that
educational laptops are separate from educational content.

A killer app might be an "App Store" for books, with the ability to
access multiple "stores".  Project Gutenberg could be a store, for
example.  Even just Project Gutenberg support in Read would be cool
(Apologies if this is already available and I don't know about it -
please correct me).  Calibre's been talked about but the feature is
"on the TODO list"[1] (though I didn't see it[2]).

http://www.mobileread.com/ appears to be a place to start reading
about e-book reader software and platforms, but I don't have any more
time to do the necessary research to see what the solved problems are
(and how they're applicable to Sugar), unfortunately.

Martin

1. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/2297#comment:1
2. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/roadmap