[IAEP] Learning with the XO

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Apr 17 11:37:12 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

Yes we're meeting tomorrow.
 Well, later today actually now that I look at the time.
 2-4pm The Hub @ Docklands. 17 Waterview Walk, Docklands.

I'm afraid I can't really answer your questions in any way you'll find
satisfactory, as I'm not much more than an enthusiastic volunteer.

I think the most useful response I can give you is threefold:

1. Check out the Sugar Labs website and the IAEP mailing list [It's An
Education Project] There you will find a community of passionate
amateurs and professional educators and developers all working hard to
extend Sugar, the platform which drives the OLPC, to other machines and
even to run from a USB stick.

http://www.sugarlabs.org/

2. As you've suggested, please come along to one of our sugar club
meets, to play with the machines, and think about how you can
contribute.

3. Specifically - the constructionist approach behind OLPC is based on
the work of Seymour Papert, Alan Kay and Marvin Minksy. I've found their
writings on the OLPC site to be quite inspiring.

See:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Marvin_Minsky
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Learning_Learning
http://www.papert.org/works.html
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Constructionist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_(learning_theory)

Finally, I'm sorry you were unable to find us for the March meeting, but
it would seem you were following directions from an old announcement for
our December meet, which was at an entirely different venue. I apologise
for the confusion.  Directions for our meet today - and subsequent meets
on the 3rd Saturday of the month (except in November) from 2-4pm can be
found here: http://luv.asn.au/2009/04/workshop As we share our location
with linux user victoria's beginners workshop .

regards
Donna

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director