[IAEP] Teacher in OLPC-Sur list enchanted to see his idea integrated, into global Sugar update [First approach] (luis ACEVEDO)

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Sep 26 19:06:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:57:45AM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are still a few loose ends to tie with the Turtle Art
>> modification. I am trying to make it into somewhat of a case study
>> that can be hopefully a catalyst not just to rote imitation but also
>> to some deductive or model-based thinking about thinking. Also, the
>> exercise has raised a few questions for me about our process that I
>> hope to address/document.
>>
>> I realize that teachers don't have time to be developers, but I aspire
>> that everyone will move towards all kinds of appropriation.
>
>I'm looking forward to the day when our graduates start to take over
>the teachers' colleges, and all of the teachers who have been
>programming since third grade or so get together to share the
>development of new interactive textbooks based on software that is
>built for children to modify.
>
>> Alas, I wish that OLPC had included the chapter on Modifying Sugar in
>> their Help activity...
>
>Second the motion.

Walter, Luis,

I just checked with Seth who mentioned to me that a 'Modifying Sugar'
exists but that it has been excluded from Help to date because it seemed
immature in comparison to other chapters. Fortunately, we have an
activity updater! Therefore, if folks on this list can get that chapter
into shape then I can easily imagine including it in a future version of
Help which might be downloaded by every user of 8.2.0 who manages to
find fast network access.

Regards,

Michael