[IAEP] Teacher in OLPC-Sur list enchanted to see his idea integrated, into global Sugar update [First approach] (luis ACEVEDO)

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Sep 24 22:46:02 EDT 2008

I'm a teacher who still observing all this, but who is potentially
interested - if time ever permitted - in attempting such code
improvements / tinkering

Not being a python or linux type though, I found Walter's example
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Patching_Turtle_Art

illuminating as to what sort of process / degree of difficulty / skill
set would be needed to do this

so for me at least, I'd see some real value in that sort of case study/
documentation ... (nice scaffold for teachers / newcomers)

my feeling, for what its worth, is that are only a very small percentage
(<1%) of teachers who would have the technical
confidence/background/interest to learn /apply this  (and maybe 0.01 %
would already possess the skills)

Figures would be roughly the right order of magnitude I think
...although 1% is possibly on the generous side, here at least

1% of the numbers involved might be useful though; and distributed
community can still exist in that space

(and with kids the percentages might go up ... eg I could see a number
of my high school students getting involved, if it was accessible
enough...if they had cut their teeth on scratch / turtle / e-toys for
instance, and then had some pathway into the more textual programming /
admin needed do that...

For what its worth

Rob

> Walter,
>
> Essentially the same questions for you. Did that go the way you
wanted?
> I get the impression you wanted teachers to modify the code
themselves.
> Maybe you can elaborate on that. Perhaps you could have asked if
anyone
> wanted to learn how to do it.
>
> In the cycle of praxis, there's the action and the reflection. If
we're
> done with the action on this one (still want to hear the final ack)
then
>   a little reflection may be in order until we pick the next small
> challenge.
>
> At the same time we can think about what tools work best to address
> these in the future. I didn't see the bug ID come through
dev.laptop.org