[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated, , > into global Sugar update (C. Scott Ananian)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:21:20 EDT 2008

Hi Scott and Michael,

In general I still think this is a good statement but its short and may
be misinterpreted.
 > Everything
 >we do must be tied to a high level goal and to specific input and
 > users. That is my most fundamental request!

There are two parts:
Goals - The only point there is that we should say why we are doing
something. Write code to scratch your own itch if you like. Whatever,
the reason, it helps us work together if you can say why you are working
on something and what is the goal of the work.

User input- I'm not saying that users deliver edicts which we must act
upon. I'm saying that we should work with the users and create a
cooperative effort where we all try to achieve the goal of educating
children. The teachers know how to teach, how to work with children, how
to spend the whole day in a room of 50 young kids, and so much more
(culture, language etc). Engineers need to hear from them about how our
product  works for them. Engineers and teachers need to find common
languages so we can work together. Then engineer-teachers need to come
up solutions that everyone understands and can use. Then we evaluate and
try again ++

I'm mystified as to why that would be controversial, but I appreciate
you raising the concern. I can't wait to see Wad's reaction when I ask
him how his proposed EC code changes will help the users :-)

To drill down on the Lesson plan example. If teachers need lesson plans,
that doesn't mean engineering writes the lesson plans for them! However,
engineering may want to think about what it means to write a lesson
plan, what is needed, how you do it, etc. Then engineering can come up
with ideas where they may be able to participate (e.g. a piece of SW
that helps write a lesson plan, share it and associate it with an
activity). Maybe there's nothing engineering can do. That's OK too but
it helps to know that lesson plans are important to this teacher and
probably to many more.

I haven't received any comments on my wiki home page.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Gregorio Maybe that will help you
understand where I'm coming from. Seems like people don't read URLs that
often so I'll post a relevant piece here:

"any development model needs an optimal process for synchronizing the
work with the users expectations. Developers don't fully understand
user's daily activities and users don't fully understand the constraints
of the development process. Even for open source, the challenge remains
how best to achieve a problem-posing methodology of mutual education.
Both sides need an efficient way to engage the praxis (action and
reflection) of creating relevant applications. Transformation of the
process from developers giving users features (banking method) to
developers-users learning from each other (problem-posing method) needs
attention that empowers all to participate.

That challenge is especially acute when there are larges gaps of
culture, age, economic status, language, and geography (urban - rural
and north - south). Even as users learn to develop their own code,
there's a need for all users to have a say in what gets prioritized and
delivered. "

Believe it or not that was from my first e-mail to David Cavalho when I
was trying to find a way to work at OLPC. Needless to say, it was way to
long and confusing and I had to find a different way in :-)

Last point. By happenstance, I'm reading Understanding Computers and
Design by Terry Winograd and Fernando Flores:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Computers-Cognition-Foundation-Design/dp/0201112973/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222092782&sr=1-1

All the AI stuff seems dated but there are some great nuggets in there.
One is that when a user interacts with a program, they are not
interacting with the computer so much as interacting with the developer
of the software!

One more section to read then I'll comment more if it the book has
anything useful to say about how we actually design the sharing
interface and the next generation XO SW.

Back to the bug database :-)

Thanks,

Greg S

PS I will try and use engineers-teachers to refer to the "we" of
everyone involved from now on. I don't want to just be part of the
engineering team. When I say "we" I want it to be all of us, teachers,
users, engineers, volunteers, testers.