[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated into global Sugar update [pr mockup]

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 08:41:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Carol Lerche wrote:

> I'd like to introduce you to the revolutionary idea of a "website".  It
> is so much more functional than this "wiki" thing olpc is so enamoured
> of.  On a "website" there is a "homepage" with important "links" to
> things like "help" and "contact us" and "latest news".  Someone with a
> 21st century job known as "web design" makes this "website" attractive
> and easy to use.
>
> Of course dumping the information in a heap with no organization is
> probably better.  You can always do a search on tags.  Like the data
> store.
>
> Sorry for the snark, but really, these are solved problems.

Your ideas are very interesting and I would like to subscribe to your
newsletter.

My question: who owns the web site?

In the end, like so many things in short-staffed volunteer organizations,
this comes down to a lack of clear organizational ownership.  Which is, I
hope, the first set of problems that the oversight board will address in
concrete ways.

1. What needs are most urgent?
2. Who owns the solutions?

In the specific case of web stuff, the Fedora model, while imperfect,
works for us.  There's a wiki that is as wild as it needs to be, and then
there is a website, no more than a few pages deep, that points people to
the most important content in the wiki.

To do this properly, there needs to be a person or a set of people who
monitor the web site to make sure that it's still relevant.  Every week.
It's a boring job in a sea of boring jobs -- but I agree with Carol, it's
a solved problem, and someone needs to step up and do it.

--g