[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated into global Sugar update [pr mockup]

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Tue Sep 16 19:24:38 EDT 2008

I'd like to introduce you to the revolutionary idea of a "website".  It is
so much more functional than this "wiki" thing olpc is so enamoured of.  On
a "website" there is a "homepage" with important "links" to things like
"help" and "contact us" and "latest news".  Someone with a 21st century job
known as "web design" makes this "website" attractive and easy to use.

Of course dumping the information in a heap with no organization is probably
better.  You can always do a search on tags.  Like the data store.

Sorry for the snark, but really, these are solved problems.

Carol Lerche

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure if this should be an integrated part of the OS, or a
> separate activity, but let me propose a view of the latter:
>
> Suppose we create a "Suggestion Box" activity, which offers a
> streamlined interface for providing suggestions.  Have the suggestions
> all get sent to, for instance, suggestion-box at lists.laptop.org.  Or,
> if you want to split based on language, suggestion-box.en at laptop.org.
> Then we'll have a repository of all the feedback and suggestions that
> come in readily accessible, archived, and searchable, and we can
> discuss them "in place" on the lists, and break things out into trac
> tickets as needed.
>
> As an addendum to this idea, I'd really like to see the Log activity
> gain similar support, so that in addition to offering a view of logs,
> it provided a way to send feedback reports, automatically including
> necessary data such as serial number, build number, hardware, etc.
> This would also make it really easy to attach logs to feedback.  It
> should be possible to send logs to the right people, according to a
> URL in the activity.info file for each.
>
> Finally, if people are really ambitious, what we really need is this:
> http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/kevincapizzi/idea/ .  Call it
> the "Discuss" activity. The idea is to create a simple streamlined
> interface through which to interact with any online forum you
> subscribe to.  We could pre-populate this with our support forum, and
> create forums for suggestions, logs, and other needs as well.  This, I
> feel, could be fantastic.
>
> - Eben
>

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> > Mmmm, I know I'm being the cranky one here today but I can't be the
> > only one thinking that IRC (or any activity based on it) isn't all
> > great a solution. Even for an immediate stop-gap solution it sucks. A
> > lot.
> >
> > As C.Scott mentioned we really need two solutions: a social one and a
> > technological one. For the social one we need to get people to
> > deployments. For the technical one we need to find the easiest possible
> > way for people to get comments, suggestions, ideas, rants from wherever
> > they are to this list and other appropiate places.
> >
> > Here's my current thinking:
> >
> > Screw the non-existant "Show me the code" functionality and turn this
> > into "kick a developer's ass" button;-)
> >
> > Seriously, also with regard to the recent Windows XP in Peru
> > announcement what we need to do is offer a competitive advantage to
> > such a solution. I know I
> > being a pain about a this but I truly believe that a well-established
> > feedback-loop between deployments and developers is one of the key USPs
> > here.
> >
> > At the end of the day this is of course a major decision in terms of
> > Sugar Labs' scope. Personally, I'm still a fan of a very early message
> [...]

"The water won't clear up 'til we get the hogs out of the creek." -- Jim
Hightower