[IAEP] Sad

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Sep 16 13:12:25 EDT 2008

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Martin Sevior schrieb:
> > 6. Sugar on MIPS hardware (that will never happen with windows).
>
> Yeah, and who outside of some hardcore geeks really cares about that?
> This might be a nice story to tell at a Linux conference but I doubt
> it's a selling point when talking to a teacher or an MoE...

Even worse - Windows NT was originally developed on MIPS machines (a bit
ironic given that DEC's selection of MIPS over PRISM was the main reason
that Cutler's team moved to Microsoft) and then ported to the x86, Alpha
and PowerPC. In fact, this inspired an attempt to make a non PC industry
standard (see "ARC" or "Advanced RISC Computing").

A little less off topic - it would be interesting to compare the current
computing experiences for two groups: those who learned Lotus 123 and
such as children in the early 1980s and those who "wasted" their time
with Logo, Oregon Trail and that kind of thing during that same time
period. That might give us some indication of what the results of
teaching Word/Excel to today's children might be.

-- Jecel