[IAEP] Sad

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 03:02:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The other sad thing is that the spreading of FUD and misinformation is
>>> already rampant. This is just a pilot. But we need to rally around
>>> FOSS and Sugar and make sure that the signal emerges from the noise.
>>
>> Yes. 55K Sugar/GNU/Linux machines are being shipped every month to
>> kids. A tiny pilot is run with Windowsas the OS and... "OMG! End of
>> teh World!" cry the sensationalist journos.

Just remember that Journos are paid by the number of people who read
their stuff. My day job has me involved in the ATLAS experiment on the
LHC. All the sensationalist stuff about the LHC destroying the
Universe has probably substantially increased our profile although it
was really annoying to see obvious bad Science disseminated to people.
I think "we", that is sugar-labs, can use this to our advantage by
writing counter-point articles about the ground breaking UI we already
have as well as the 55 K/month shipments to children.

So the point is that there is a strong counter-story about sugar-labs
and the current shipments. We need to make sure that story gets out
too.

Cheers

Martin