[IAEP] Notes from FUDCon Brno 2008

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 11 06:37:56 EDT 2008

Hey all,

as promised in Walter's Sugar digest here come the notes from the
various discussions that took place at FUDCon Brno 2008 last weekend
(also available at
http://www.sugarlabs.org/go/Events/FUDCon_Brno_2008/Notes):

===Telling stories===
=>telling awesome stories to demonstrate the possibilities enabled by Sugar

* Pentagram's help in designing the interface
* feedback process (once it's actually done)
* Sugar as a ''playground for innovation and experimentation'' (an
inspiring comment Tomeu made during Q&A)
* two committees we should consider adding:
** propaganda (ChristophD has been suggested for that role)
** outreach
*** university/students liason
*** educators

===TO-DOs===

* finding out who owns the rights to "Sugar" and "Sugar Labs" => we
have to own the Sugar Labs brand and related entities (!)
* find logo (!)
* have an organizational roadmap, not just a software roadmap (!)
* set up feedback process
* make sure to follow-up on projects
* clean up wiki
* next release in 6-months should have the biggest holes fixed
* get an extra or two developers working on Sugar for 4 to 6 months
* testing: outsource it to organizations (ChristophD will talk to
people at universities in Graz, Austria on September 21/22 so let's see
what happens); requires strong leadership (!); Gnome bug-days as an
example; push for automated testing
* emphasis on the importance of responding to bug-reports, even though
we don't necessarily have to fix them
* understanding how community works -> make it better at Sugar Labs
(find quick wins, proof-points)
* GdK: "simplify and amplify"
* responsibilities
* Sugar Labs Ambassadors (?)
* weekly updates to walter, but also try to spread to more publications
(e.g. Sugar ported to Beagle board @ linuxdevices.com)
* focus on work planned for next week
* @IAEP: media liason to spread the story
* engage community via IAEP and Sugar to harness people
* IRC: weekly Sugar Labs meeting, infrequent Board meetings for
high-level and sensitive issues such as business, hiring, etc., board
meetings open to everyone - patches welcome, candidates have to keep
motivated; not only board members can run committees but board holds
people accountable
* set up Ministry of Propaganda / Outreach / Truth
* IRL meetings: e.g. FUDCon Boston

I know they're still a bit rough around the edges but I think it's a
good starting point for a number of discussions that we should be
having.

Thanks,
Christoph

--