[IAEP] Squeak sources (was: Sugar on Ubuntu - Summary)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Nov 7 13:20:20 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 03:30:57PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>David Van Assche wrote on Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:39:00 +0100
>> I've just been corrected on this by a ubuntu dev, who states for it
>> to get into universe, it must have source code available. That means
>> that for now, squeak must stay in Multiverse.... the only option
>> seems to seperate squeak from sugar, if sugar is to get into main or
>> universe.
>
>Since Bert's authorative, but brief, clarification seems to have had no
>effect on this thread I am forced to go into more details than you all
>probably wanted to know about Squeak in order to clear up this
>confusion.

>So the whole discussion has never been about sources at all, but about
>security. In Squeak we sacrifice (in theory) some security for absolute
>freedom. We allow anyone to do anything and this means some bad person
>could hurt us. I hope you can see the irony of people classifying
>Squeak as "non free" due to our choice.

Thanks for the clarification!

This, I believe, is fully understood by the Debian package maintainer of
squeak-vm and etoys (only Squeak image currently packaged officially for
Debian) and by Debian ftpmasters.

Now, if only people could realize that Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian,
which means (among a bunch of other other things less relevant here)
that to a very large degree Ubuntu packages are simply recompilations of
Debian packages, and that even for the few packages only in Ubuntu, if
the software is not acceptable for Debian "main" then it is unlikely to
be acceptable for Ubuntu "universe" either.

I hope you can see the irony of avoiding Debian and caring only about
Ubuntu.

Debian is the "mother" of .deb-based distributions. You _can_ close your
eyes to Debian while having interest in derivatives like Ubuntu, but you
are making things harder to grasp, and might then e better off sticking
to .rpm-based distributions or perhaps "non-package" ones like Slackware
or Gentoo.

  - Jonas

Debian developer, and not Ubuntu developer.

- --