[IAEP] Related projects

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:04:04 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking that at least two more organizations
> are necessary:
> (1) a global consortium of research organizations --
> probably mostly universities -- that are looking at the research
> issues you raise;

Also Engineers Without Borders and the like.

> and
> (2) an organization to help launch local
> enterprises to address the deployment issues you raise.

Technology transfer and local capacity building, as the development
jargon has it. Unquestionably.

> -walter

Sounds good to me. For a start, we need people interested in these
issues, and suggestions for more. Then we need an IT infrastructure,
including hosting and sysadmins, somewhat similar to OLPC and
SugarLabs, but probably without the code repository, and with some
database capabilities that they don't offer. At that point we can get
some people together to write the grant proposals and business plans,
and invite participation.

I am working with several organizations on some of these issues, and
know where others are, including a list of what I consider to be world
best practices. But nobody has addressed these issues on the scale
needed, with the integration needed between components, and with
funding by the resulting economic development after an initial startup
period.

"What do you think, Sirs?"
Joel, Invention Exchange, MST3K
--