[IAEP] Wiki Barn Raising!

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Tue May 27 18:41:00 CEST 2008

I got a bit frustrated starting the bugsquad.  The frustration was
mainly caused by my inability to find public information about the
project.  There is a lot of good stuff in the wiki and mailing list.  It
is just hard to find.

So, for the last two days I have been reworking the wiki to make the
information more accessible.

1. I have been creating a hierarchy in the wiki based on functional
areas.  The center is Community which branches off to other areas.

2.  Currently, the two sub areas are Sugar Labs and the BugSquad.  The
bugsquad is split off as a prototype for how other teams can be set up.
Sugar Labs is split off for two reasons. a.  The Sugar Labs stuff can be
turned into a formal and polished website for reporters and others who
are put off by the chaos of a rapidly evolving wiki.  b. This expresses
that Sugar Labs is an (often payed) subgroup of the sugar community.
Not, that the Sugar community is a (free labor, second class) group
attached to the lab

3  Making the Sugar Community->Sugar Labs relationship visible and
transparent is very important.  For example, look at how the
Fedora/Redhat and Canonical/Ubuntu relationships have flourished while
the Linspire and OLPC projects have struggled.

Over the next few days (I am home sick with a cold) I will continue to
work on the wiki by:

1. Editing and re-factoring.
2. Create team areas where related stuff is organized.
3. Pulling important stuff from the iaep and sugar Mailing list.

If anyone has documents that should be add to the wiki please let me
know.

Thanks Dfarning