[IAEP] Ultraportable Ubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri May 23 12:46:34 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:49 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
> On 5/22/08, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>> Morgs pointed me at this press release:
>>   http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2437
>
> Is this the same as:
>  http://eclecti.cc/olpc/ubuntu-mobile-on-an-olpc-xo

I googled Netbook Intel to find out more about the platform, since
there are no details on "Netbook Remix" yet. According to
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2008/03/thoughts_on_netbooks.php
(including the comments) a Netbook is a clamshell device, like the
EeePC - differentiated from UMPCs and MIDs, which are non-clamshell
pocket devices, targeted at business and consumers respectively.

Ubuntu Mobile is the OS (and Moblin is the developer platform) for
MIDs, which are Intel's equivalent to Nokia's N800/N810 devices.
(http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/09/ubuntu-mobile-and-moblin-get-investigated/
and http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile)

I'm guessing that both Netbook Remix and Ubuntu Mobile are stripped
down, but differ in the GUI and the apps. Ubuntu Mobile is more
phone-like, whereas Netbook Remix would probably offer a simplified
desktop environment - and so be more suited to an XO form factor than
Ubuntu Mobile.

What is interesting to me is the difference between the communities:
Ubuntu builds the operating system, in the normal public project way.
http://moblin.org/ is for those who buy the device, and want to
develop for it - get the SDK etc - with almost no mention of Ubuntu.
Something to think about with the differentiation between OLPC's
product and Sugar in mind.

Morgan