[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
Wed May 14 12:05:48 CEST 2008

Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> schrieb am 14.05.2008
04:04:31:

> On May 13, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > Just make sure you read all the way through before trying to
> > understand it. I needed to read it through twice as he is a very angry
> > person and his anger seems to go at a lot of targets..
>
> Do you feel that particular points were not properly supported or
> explained in the essay?

I think it would make sense to start talking about what we actually would
like children to learn or stop pretending that OLPC or Sugar is about
education.

Without a rough consensus about our educational goals we continue to have
strange meta discussions about how to best improve education. While at
same time having absolutely no consensus about what we actually want to
improve.

Both Windows and OS X can be used to improve teaching. But if your goal is
to teach children how to write their programs (like RMS definetly wants
too) using Windows is surely a step in the wrong direction. If your goal
is to enable children to access things like Wikipedia or Youtube using
Windows or OS X probably is a simpler way to go (that's actually what is
done in Austria right now).

For this reason I would like to urgue everybody to start talking about how
to actually help children learning math, writing, physics, chemistry,
biology, programming,? and not have one meta discussion about education
after the other.

cu andreas

P.S.: Kudos to OLE Nepal. Epaati is terrific!